How in the world has another year gone by so fast? Well, it’s partially a by-product of growing up and getting older, but it also means that we’ve ALL been incredibly busy! We’ve found that one of the best ways to stay busy is to set goals for your company. When we think of the word ‘goal’ at this time of year, we think of the term “New Year’s Resolution.”
Let’s define both.
Goal: the object of a person’s ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.
Resolution: a firm decision to do or not to do something.
These definitions sound pretty similar to us, so we’ll use them anonymously. Forbes.com suggests that “just 8% of people achieve their New Year’s goals.” Similarly, not many businesses achieve all of their business goals either. That might sound discouraging, but let’s take a closer look. Most (good) managers and business leaders sit down, write out and develop a strategy for their company goals. If they fail or fall short, they re-evaluate and try again. You can do the same thing for your business. Don’t be a part of this awful statistic.
Whatever word you use when setting goals, the definitions remain the same. Let’s focus, make some resolutions, turn those into habits and build a successful new year together!
Turn These 10 Resolutions into Habits in 2019
- Be Focused | No one can do everything at once. While trying to set a new year’s resolution for your company, focus on completing one activity at a time. Look at your list of desired accomplishments, prioritize on the ones that will bring you the best results and focus on those. Focus also means that you’re monitoring each detail that surrounds your overall goal. Don’t lose sight of your task and keep the ball rolling.
- Stay Positive | It can be a challenge to see the distinction between optimism and realism. Some people say that if you’re overly positive, that you aren’t being realistic. However, if you think about it, being positive doesn’t mean you’re ‘dreaming’ or being naive. You can go through a tragedy, acknowledge it and remain positive, focusing on overcoming that challenge without having false hope. Stay positive and don’t stop believing that you’ll reach success. It WILL happen if you focus… sooner or later.
- Learn to Be Flexible | That’s right… start doing yoga! Well, if you want to… but what we really mean is “learn to adapt”. Communication, marketing, technology and everything in between is changing more quickly than ever. Flexibility is a must have quality if you want to adapt to these changes. The resolution to be flexible is a tough one. Changing direction and adapting can be difficult, but it is necessary for long-term success.
- Be Brave | You’ve heard the saying, “no risk, no reward” – and it’s true. You have to be brave to own and/or operate your own sanitation business. On top of that, once you’ve been brave enough to step out on your own, or adapt to change, you have to KEEP doing that every day. It’s natural to have fear when starting a new business project. However, bravery is learning to face those fears and move forward, not completely ignore them.
- Commit | Have you ever gone along with something that wasn’t planned, thought-out or committed to? If you have, chances are that you didn’t get the best result out of that experience. You have to sincerely believe in what you do. Without belief, you’ll find it hard to show your bravery, keep your focus or adapt to new situations. Your commitment will be the catalyst that moves your forward. Moreover, if your fellow employees see you commit, they will follow suit.
- Take Action | Creating a plan is good. But just thinking or talking about your plan won’t help you reach your New Year’s resolution. you have to actually start doing something! Conditions will never be perfect for success. Here’s where the difference between positivity and realism comes into play. We’re all just one moment away from tragedy. That’s a fact. But, when something tragic happens, if you stay positive, you can take action and work through that issue. Make a plan, take action and go for it.
- Learn to Communicate | It’s important to communicate your resolutions, both in business and in your personal life. In fact, you should ‘resolve’ to communicate every message you deliver as clearly as possible! Can you run a company with no verbalized goal or direction? No… you have to communicate that direction. Once you have a direction, how do you get others on board? That also comes down to communication. From everyday office emails to closing huge business deals, better communication needs to be a priority in 2019.
- Keep a Journal | This one is easy. Buy a journal (doesn’t need to be anything fancy) and fill it with all of your thoughts. Not only is writing a great therapeutic mechanism, but it’s also a great tool for discovering new ideas. Write down whatever you think, however you feel and all that lies between. you’ll get some stress off your chest and keep detailed records of your ideas simultaneously.
- Develop a Morning Routine | Do you have a morning time ritual? If not, you should create one. This can literally be anything to help you prepare for the day. A common ritual is coffee and reading before the day begins, or hitting the gym before heading to work. No matter what your habit becomes, get up early, stay on track be consistent. This will lead you to consistency in other areas of your life (we’re hoping work) as well.
- Stay Unique | There is no shortage of tips on how to make your business successful, but you rarely see the one tip that matters the most: Be Yourself! Stay unique and authentic. Your personality and unique ideas are what really set you apart from the competition.
But Wait, There’s SO MUCH More
Again, there are millions of blogs, articles, and tips you can read that can guide you through the creation and maintenance of resolutions. In fact, here are some of our favorites:
Whether you’re creating a New Year’s resolution for yourself, your family or your business, these sources can help you understand ‘how’ you can stick to your plans and meet your goals.
At Satellite|PolyPortables, we have teams of amazing people waiting to help you and your business succeed. If you need help setting goals or scaling your company, we can help with that. If you don’t know what goal to set or need help marketing and communicating your message, we can help with that. Of course, you already know we can provide all of the portable sanitation equipment you may need… but this isn’t a sales blog 😉
Let’s make 2019 the best year in the sanitation business to date. We can do it, together.