The portable sanitation industry has been at the forefront of providing hygienic, sanitary equipment to the public sector for generations. Rental companies, who supply this equipment (handwash stations, portable restrooms, etc..) for public use have always focused on proper cleaning. Disinfectant, antibacterials, and other cleaning products are a major part of the job.
Now in the wake of Coronavirus, these cleaners and sanitizers along with and the appropriate cleaning techniques, are more important than ever.
Fortunately, there are many options available – not just in selecting which disinfectant to use, but also in cleaning and disinfecting your own equipment. Keep yourself and your employees safe and healthy; check out the latest information on how to mitigate the risks of COVID-19 and other contagious viruses for your business and your customers.
Disinfectant – How to Choose the Right Product?
Look for the EPA Registered Disinfectant label. According to Andrew Wheeler of the EPA,
“Using the correct disinfectant is an important part of preventing and reducing the spread of illnesses along with other critical aspects such as hand washing.”
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires that products labeled as sanitizers or disinfectants do truly kill the germs that the product claims to eliminate.
Solutions from Satellite
Satellite Industries produces an EPA Registered Disinfectant called Enviro Bac 2. This EPA approved product is high quality and high dilution, containing 10% quaternary sanitizer/disinfectant and mildewstat. It is intended to be used in dairies, hospitals, hotels, schools, produce plants, poultry, and meat plant operations. Enviro Bac 2 is effective against:
- E. coli
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
- Salmonella typhi
- Enterobacter sakazakii
- Campylobacter jejuni
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Yersinia enterocolitica.
- Listeria monocytogenes,
- Herpes Simplex virus
- Avian influenza
- and more!
- 56% greater reduction in bacteria
- 132% greater reduction in mold*
*Lab results for traditional cleaning increased mold by 84% from a brush transferring mold from one surface to another.
Click For Full Product Details
What’s important, is that you have a solution that meets the needs of your company. Your health and safety, and that of the people around you are of the utmost importance.
How to Properly Apply a Disinfectant
Disinfectants are important products for keeping equipment, facilities, and the people around them healthy and safe. When used as directed, disinfectants help prevent the spread of colds, influenza and other infectious diseases. If improperly applied, however, you might as well spray them down the drain because applying disinfectants incorrectly renders them ineffective!
Here are a few helpful tips to use, when cleaning with a disinfectant.
1. Add Fiber. Microfiber, that is. Mops and cleaning cloths made of synthetic microfiber are considered by some experts to be more effective than those made from natural-based fibers, due to their resistance to “quat binding”
2. Hit the Hot Spots. Under the right conditions, bacteria can double their numbers in as little as 20 minutes. “Hot Spot” surfaces that are frequently touched − doorknobs, light switches, elevator buttons, handrails − accumulate germs more quickly and need to be disinfected more often.
3. Time is on Your Side. Disinfectants have “dwell times” listed on their label, indicating how long they must remain wet on a surface in order to kill various pathogens.
4. Choose Wisely. Check out this article called Types of Disinfectants and How to Make the Best Choice for Your Facility. It explains various categories of disinfectants along with their pros and cons.
Sometimes you may need to disinfect large areas, entire rooms, or massive pieces of equipment. What can you do to make the job easier?
A motorized spray system may be right for you! For example, check out the Pathfinder, a unique disinfecting system that takes sanitation a step further – used with an EPA registered product such as EnviroBac portable restroom equipment is completely disinfected and cleaned more effectively than with traditional cleaning methods.
Operating and maintaining the PathFinder spray system takes very little time and is easily serviceable due to its compact design. A highly dependable 1000 psi pump, with auto-shutoff and adjustable flow rate, is the power behind dual spray guns. One of the key benefits to this product is the adjustable chemical injector in the system that will feed a metered amount of disinfectant into the water stream. The amount is controlled by the user and their choice of how much product they are happy with using. One gun operates at 5 GPM for charging the tank, while the other functions such as a high-pressure sprayer used for cleaning or low-pressure sprayer for applying the disinfectant.
- Disinfectant gets in between the tank and walls, neutralizing bacteria
- Stops mold from growing on the roofs, portable restrooms, or other plastic equipment
- Leaves a film that protects from graffiti (eases removal) and from spider inhabitation
Full Product Specs and Details
The main goal is to create a safe living and work environment for our families, friends, and customers alike. However you choose to maintain a healthy environment, and whatever products work best for you, be sure to keep cleanliness in mind.
If you have any questions about the products referenced in this article or have great ideas on sanitizing and disinfecting that you didn’t see here, we’d love to hear from you!